A mission-driven professional horticulture services firm providing sustainable landscape/horticulture consultation, design, and installation as well as community and educational workshops in the Chicago metro community.
Our offerings builds upon our depth of knowledge in cutting edge, sustainable techniques in landscape renovation, construction and maintenance. Our expertise allows us the ability to assist local schools, individuals, property owners and community organizations to build, engaging garden environments.
At South Side Roots, Inc., we hold an inspired vision for expanding inner city employment in urban horticulture, and the environmental and ecological industry. This commitment allows us to be part of positive change in the city. Through an emphasis on relationships, we seek to build an interwoven tapestry of people, plants and property. Our vision is to foster vibrant communities-livable, lovable “places in space.”
Meet Mr. Dobbins
Richard L Dobbins, Jr., principal and founder of “South Side Roots, Inc.”, a landscape/horticulture service firm, and the first to state, that numerous people, family and friends, peers, clients, and a host of others have played a role in the formation of this company and its focus. Just as important, has been challenging, life-changing situations and experiences to overcome along the way.
- President of South Side Roots, Inc.
- Urban Landscape & Horticulture Specialist
- US Naval Veteran
- 25+ Years of Landscape Industry Experience
- Former Instructor & Faculty at Openlands Community Garden Training Program
- Former Landscape Construction Supervisor & Instructor with the Chicago Botanic Gardens
- Former Community & School Garden Construction Supervisor with the Chicago Botanic Gardens
South Side Roots Commercial Plans
- Many states and municipalities, including South Sides Roots’ home in Illinois, have proposed multi-billion dollar roadway and bridge work plans in the coming years including beautification
- Department of Transportation agencies across the country are giving strong consideration to the beautification of transportation corridors
- More than $28 million will be spent in Florida for landscaping on a 21-mile project
- Orland Park, IL is spending about $12.5 million on beautification related to the widening of six miles